Short stay visa

To enter Holland for study purposes, Indian students, like inhabitants from most countries need an MVV, an entry visa. This is a sticker placed in your passport at the Dutch embassy in India, but it must be applied for well in advance. You will require an ‘authorization for temporary stay’ (Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf, or MVV).

The regular application procedure for an MVV may take three to six months, sometimes even longer. The Dutch host institution can apply for an MVV on your behalf using a fast-track procedure. But to do this, the institution must give the authorities a financial guarantee, which they sign. Institutions will not always agree to do this. But it is worth asking the institution about the fast-track procedure, because it will save both time and trouble. The administration fee for an MVV is 433 euro if you apply for it yourself and 250 euro if the Dutch host institution applies for the MVV on your behalf.


The Schengen visa will usually allow you to travel throughout all countries in the Schengen area. Sometimes the visa is limited to a single country (for example Holland only) or a few countries (for example Holland, Belgium and France). In that case, the Schengen visa will only allow you to travel to and through that particular country or these particular countries.

Your stay in the Schengen area is limited to a maximum of 90 days within a period of 180 days. This means that once you have been in the Schengen area for 90 days you may not return until another 90 days have passed.

Multiple entry and single entry

With a ‘multiple entry’ short stay visa you are allowed to travel in and out of the Schengen area during the validity of your visa. With a ‘single entry’ short stay visa you are allowed to travel within the Schengen area, but once you have left the Schengen area you cannot return without a new Schengen visa.

More information

Please note that immigration procedures are updated frequently, you can check the IND website for latest information.

Registering with the aliens police

Officially you also need to register with the aliens police within three days of arriving in the country. Ask your host institution how this is arranged in your city.

last modified Dec 06, 2017 07:17 AM