Internship as part of a programme abroad

If you are enrolled in a study programme abroad, you can do an internship in Holland, but there are some rules.

Work permit

The internship provider (your employer) will first have to apply for a work permit for you (Tewerkstellingsvergunning, or TWV).

You do not need a TWV if:

  • you are an EU/EEC national, with the exception of nationals of Bulgaria and Romania;
  • you are a Swiss national;
  • you are working within the framework of a European Union action programme. An example would be an Erasmus internship within the Lifelong Learning Programme.

The body responsible for issuing TWVs is UWV WERKbedrijf. Although getting a TWV is strictly a formality, the application process can take up to around five weeks.

Residence permit

Please contact your institution to find out what rules apply with regard to visas and permits.

Internship pay

Interns usually get some form of payment. If you are staying in Holland for less than six months and you are spending at least 50% of that time on the internship, then your internship provider or employer can pay you tax-free.

But, if you are staying for longer than six months, your employer will usually have to pay tax over a large share of your salary. In that case, you are automatically covered by Dutch social security. You must then also take out Dutch public healthcare insurance.

You may be eligible for compensation of the cost of this insurance in the form of a healthcare allowance.

last modified Aug 17, 2015 01:04 PM