Internship as part of a programme in Holland

If you want to do an internship in Holland, there are a few things to consider.

The question to answer first is whether the internship would be part of a study programme in Holland or a study programme abroad.

This will determine whether you need a work permit, the type of residence permit you need, the maximum internship remuneration that you can receive tax-free and whether social security contributions need to be deducted.

For more information on either of these scenarios see the menu on the left.

Getting work experience in Holland after your studies

Once you have been awarded your diploma, you are no longer eligible to do an internship in Holland. However, if you already have a job in your home country, you can get practical work experience in Holland as a ‘practitioner’, or practicant.

Your employer abroad must provide a guarantee that you will be able to resume your duties upon returning home. This means that you would be coming to Holland specifically for the internship.

'Factsheet immigration procedures for international students doing an internship'(196.0 kB)

last modified Aug 17, 2015 01:03 PM